In MyNewYork

MOMA: Free Fridays


Last Friday I had a huge gap between work and heading to training at church for a mission trip. (click link to find out more)


Being out of work for 3 months has put me on a budget, but I knew that I wanted to go to a museum to kill time. I heard in the past that MOMA Museum was free on Fridays, but I thought it was like "free--with a donation of your choice-free) Good for me, it was actually free...and packed!




Every Friday, Uniqlo has sponsored for the MOMA museum to be free after 4pm until 8(or 9). Last Friday, the Picasso Sculpture exhibit was on display.

I love going to art galleries and museums because it inspires me or it just gives me time to just think and be alone with music in my ears. I will admit one thing. There are too many people in popular museums like MOMA who are there just to gawk at the art and they're just in my way. 

Anyway. It was a nice 2 hours spent and I learned a lot about Picasso that made me admire his work because I had never really put much effort into learning about Picasso in the past. It was just the big name.




Before we get into the Museum, there were these awesome pieces of art that these people were selling outside of the MOMA. Frida! I almost bought it, but had no cash, but did have a budget. Had no clue where I'd put it anyway... On the plus side, there were posters that they gave away at one of the exhibits "The Newspaper Stand" and I got to take a few of those home, no charge!


Back into the museum- Picasso!

There were two main sculptures that I really admired by Picasso. Why? Because of the story behind it. During the time when he decided to get into sculpture making, there was already an "idea" of how sculpture should be. There should be no gaps. It should be firm and solid. Picasso overturned the rules of sculpture. He made a guitar out of paper, string and cardboard. As I was listening to the audio that told the history of the selected sculptures, I began to smile because it was so encouraging. 

Picasso didn't stay within the lines of the ordinary, he attempted to do something that no one else had done before. More interesting, he left sculptures that he had been working on for years, but then he would get back to them. He lived with these sculptures.

For me, that was also great to know and witness his work of art in a museum because I tend to be that way. I work on things, whether it be a drawing or painting, and I leave it alone for a while and come back to it. Now, I'm not Picasso, but I can say that he is a great influence in the art sense.  







Overall, It's a cool museum and worthy of a free admission!




Extras: (not Picasso)






Let me know if you go, or if you've ever been. Any other museum recommendations in New York?




There Are More Like This Article

0 comments:

Post a Comment